Verification, Validation and Updating of FE Models for Structural Analysis (3 Days) - Technology Course
Dynamic Design Solutions organizes an intensive three-day course on finite element model verification, validation and updating technology applied to structural static and dynamic analysis. This course is intended for all who want to improve their understanding of the technology.
Engineering simulation has become an essential tool for supporting decision-making in product design, qualification and certification. To guarantee the required confidence in results obtained with technologies like finite element analysis, these simulation models must be assessed for their predictive capabilities. Engineers are facing new responsibilities and challenges to comply with new Quality Assurance standards like ASME or ISO 9001 that specify more stringent requirements to demonstrate validity of simulation engineering. This requires the adoption of new workflows for Verification and Validation (V&V) using physical tests or high fidelity models, and in most cases, the updating of input parameters. Today this workflow can be largely automated thanks to integrated software tools. These tools, that rely on the combined use of simulation and test data, can also be used in the framework of the Digital Twin concept and enable applications like Structural Health Monitoring (SHM).
During this technology course, all aspects of a V&V and model udating process for structural static and dynamic analysis will be reviewed, including importing and preparing FEA and test data, analyzing correlation with reference test data, selecting updating parameters, defining realistic targets, computing sensitivity coefficients, running updating loops and postprocessing the results. Complementary technologies and applications like probabilistic analysis, pretest planning, structural modifications, force identification and material characterization will also be discussed and demonstrated.
Participants are also given an opportunity to get hands-on experience using a specialized software package (FEMtools Model Updating) that will be used for exercises during approximately half of the time.
Read here the comments from participants of our previous courses.
Date(s) and Location
Date: March 23-25, 2022
Location: Leuven, Belgium (location to be announced). Leuven is located 20 km from Brussels international airport and can easily be reached by train or car. The hotel is situated near the train station of Leuven.
The same course is scheduled to take place on December 13-15, 2021 in Fullerton, CA, USA. click here for more information.
This course is suitable for anyone interested in learning the state-of-the-art in finite element model verification, validation and updating. Participants typically have a background in CAE, simulation quality assurance, structural dynamics, modal testing, or noise and vibration troubleshooting. The methods shown can be applied to a wide range of industrial applications.
By the end of the course, you will gain understanding of the principles of FE model validation and updating and how they can be applied in practice. More specifically, participants will learn
- Standard techniques for FE model verification, validation and updating.
- How testing or reference FE models can be used to validate and update a finite element model.
- About methods and supporting tools for FE model validation and updating (pretest planning, model reduction, correlation with test, sensitivity analysis,...).
- About practical decision-making to successfully start, manage and complete a model validation project.
- How to interpret and postprocess results from model updating.
- How to develop customized processes and integrate FE model updating in any simulation workflow.
- How to integrate with test data and FE solvers like Nastran, Ansys, Abaqus and others.
- About applications like material identification and structural health evaluation.
Methods are outlined with only minimum mathematics and are illustrated by practical software implementations. They can be applied to a wide range of industrial applications, regardless of the finite element solver, test system and computing platform that are used. The focus will be on finite element models for applications in structural dynamics. FEMtools software will be used during hands-on sessions that cover about half of the time. Prior knowledge and a license of FEMtools is not required.
- Overview of model verification, validation and updating for structural dynamics
- Database management and interfacing with commercial finite element software and test data
- Introduction to modal validation testing (modal testing; operational modal analysis)
- Verification of FE data
- Using internal and external finite element solvers for re-analysis
- Using scripting for database management, analysis integration and automation
- FE-test correlation analysis
- Modal pretest analysis
- Sensitivity analysis
- Model updating using static test data
- Modal-based model updating
- FRF-based model updating
- ODS-based model updating
- Advanced model updating concepts (multi-model updating, parameter relations, substructuring, superelements,...)
- Force identification and updating
- Probabilistic model validation and updating
- Applications of model updating (material identification, structural health monitoring,...)
- Review and closure
The course language is English.
Ir. Eddy Dascotte, Dynamic Design Solutions NV. Eddy has consulted, developed software and presented courses for companies worldwide in the fields of structural dynamics and finite element model updating.
A list of other recommended hotels in and around Leuven can be obtained from DDS. Information on the city of Leuven and hotels can also be found at https://www.leuven.be/
The fee for this three-day course is 950 euro per person (+ taxes) and will be charged by invoice.
This fee includes course materials, lunches, coffee breaks and refreshments. Hotel accomodation is not included in the registration fee.
Advance registration is required. To register, please use the online registration form or download a printable version of the course flyer (PDF) and return the completed form by e-mail.
Note that the number of participants is limited and early registration is strongly recommended.
Upon registration you will receive an email confirmation of your reservation with additional practical information about the venue and course.
A full refund will be made for all cancellations received 8 days before the start of the course. Afterwards 50% of the costs will be charged. Substitute attendees will be accepted at any time. In the event that we have to cancel the course, paid course fees will be refunded in full but we disclaim any further liability.
For more information, please contact
Dynamic Design Solutions N.V. (DDS)
B-3001, Leuven, Belgium
Phone: +32 16 40 23 00